Thursday 9 July 2015

Your Questions About Ladies Shoes Wide

Lisa asks…

What Do You Ladies Think Of These Shoes?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=329222696&albumId=1223082&page=1 I had this link up earlier and didn't really get the responses that I was looking for. I'm starting a business and wanted to know what you ladies thought. If you don't like the shoe line I do have a "create your own shoe" option. Overall are the prices fair? Is this a nice selection? If not let me know what you think, your opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Our pick of the answers:

I love all of your shoes! You should probably add a heel that's in the middle of being really high, but not flats. The "create your own shoe" would be great. Everyone has different feet, so why are all shoes made the same? I, for example, have a wider front of my foot (like an 8), but the back of my foot is really narrow (like a 6). It's hard for me to find shoes because it's either too small up front or my heel is slipping out of the back. My favorite shoes would have to be Chelsea, the one in grey. I really like the little tie at the end. Another great addition to your shoe line would be boots. There are so many different kinds and they look good on everyone if you pick the right shoes. Good luck with your business! I'm sure it'll take off. :]

Jenny asks…

Shoes all year; your opinion?

There is a big debate going on at my barn currently as to shoe or not to shoe in the winter. There is only 2 people who show at my barn, myself and one of the trainers, and we both keep our horses completely barefoot all year long (My filly has never had shows and her feet are incredibly hard... and incredibly white lol.). There is 2 ladies I ride with on trails who say horses should have shoes, all year long. I'm not a fan of shoes because I think they inhibit the horses natural circulation, but I am not going to get mad at someone for using them. However, horses only being ridden MAYBE twice a week in the winter in an arena don't really need shoes, at least according to me. What do you think? I'm really just curious as to what's out there. My old farrier (Whom I no longer use) says all horses need shoes always in a wet climate (We live in Oregon), but my current farrier says horses don't need shoes if they have naturally hard feet and in the winter and it's a waste of money... So yeah. What's your opinion?

Our pick of the answers:

Shoes cause almost every problem that people have suggested as a reason to put shoes on! Soft, weak, shelly hooves, contracted heels which in turn cause navicular problems, tender feet, all are due to shoeing and all can be remedied without them if the owner is willing to make the necessary changes. The breeds that are known for lousy feet, typically are breeds that are shod young and kept shod - TBs and drafts. My own barefoot mare is 1/2 TB and 1/4 draft. The bare carriage horses are drafts. Even TBs that were shod as yearlings so they could start getting their legs broken down in race training (oops, that's another rant) can be rehabilitated with a healthy lifestyle. I know of horses of all breeds and work loads and past histories that are now sound and barefoot. Hooves can adapt to various climates and terrain conditions. Wet, rainy conditions cause hooves to grow wider and flatter and if untended, they will self-trim by growing out until they break off - kind of like they do when feral or pasture-living horses live in wet conditions. In hard, rocky, dry conditions, they are work down - funny, but they seem to wear down at the same rate they grow back - what a coincidence! Shoes don't fix anything at all, at best they just hide problems for a time, while the actual problem worsens. A proper barefoot trim *and lifestyle* can allow almost every shoeing-caused hoof issue to truly heal. This means sufficient turnout time, low-starch/sugar feedstuffs, and a functional, physiologically correct trim. The old-time farriers knew that shoeing year-round only worsens all the problems that shoes cause. A few months off from shoeing allows the heels to spread out closer to the way they should be, lets the hooves become stronger, and improves circulation for the duration of barefootedness. It also relieves peripheral loading, which allows the bony column to come back up from the sole, thereby allowing a shorter hoof capsule that doesn't impinge on the fetlock joint. Horses don't need shoes, only horse owners who are unwilling to give their horses a healthy barefoot lifestyle need shoes. Riding on Rocky Mountain trails daily, pulling a carriage on city streets and wide mountain trails, pulling a sleigh on snow-packed trails, hundreds of roadside miles, my friends and I have done these things with our sound, healthy barefoot horses. There are barefoot endurance horses! No chance those horses are unsound - they have to go through several vet checks on every ride! A well-conditioned hoof wil respond to the stresses placed upon it. Endurance riders report needing to trim hooves within 2 days of a 50-mile race. There is no such thing as a horse that needs shoes. The hoof is amazingly able to heal and grow out strong, given the right conditions. The transition can be difficult, but with care and hoof boots and pads, it can be accomplished with a minimum of discomfort. Specific to the question of shoeing in winter, snowballs in the feet are a problem only when a horse is shod, or if it is extremely overdue for a trim. Shoes hold the snow and allow it to pack in, creating a slippery unstable ball for the horse to walk on. Short answer: no horse needs shoes (did I already say that, several times?)

Powered by Yahoo! Answers


No comments:

Post a Comment