Tuesday 12 February 2013

Your Questions About Court Shoes Squash

Helen asks…

Why do people think it's cruel to step on bugs?

I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten a bug if I see it crawling around my feet. If I'm playing tennis and I see one on the court, I'll be honest: I'll probably slide my foot over it to squash it. I've never had a problem stepping on them, even throughout college. I know that some people consider it wrong, but it seems pretty normal to me. Most of my male friends don't think twice when planting a foot over some busy anthill, nor do I. I can think of more painful ways for a bug to die than getting crushed instantly under some gigantic running shoe. Why would it be wrong? The rationale of "I do it because I can" might be the one used by bullies, and it holds true for me I think. Does that mean I view bugs as less significant than me? Well, yeah I guess I do. But is it necessarily wrong? I don't personally think so, it's an advantage of being bigger.

Our pick of the answers:

I know some people might try to defend by saying something like "Well animals like lions kill antelope, so what's wrong with me stepping on a bug?" Well, "I do it because I can" applies here. It's simply taking advantage of one's size to end the life of a smaller creature. Rational, if the person needs to kill the bug to survive, however usually, that's not the case. Infact, in most cases, the bug won't have done anything other than simply being there. I used to mallet a bug with whatever I could find, until the poor thing because one with the wall it was crawling on. Though now, I don't think it's right. I always think, if that was me, I'd not want to be crushed. And definitely not from a pathetic reason like "I can because I can". Although I'm positive it'll never happen, I think animals and humans, though not equal in terms of intelligent value (If you know what I mean), they do share an equal right to live. It's not permitted for me to go out and massacre the neighbors family, just because I have the ability to do it, and I think it should be the same for other insects. It doesn't take much effort to contain it, and release whatever it is outside. Edit: I'll just note, I'm not a fan of bugs, though I'm not all that bothered by them, as long as they're not crawling on me.

Lizzie asks…

Why do people think it's wrong to step on bugs?

I'm 24, have a professional job, and I still tend to flatten a bug if I see it crawling around my feet. If I'm playing tennis and I see one on the court, I'll be honest: it will probably get squashed under my shoe. I've never had a problem stepping on them, and I've stepped on a lot of them over the years. I know that some people consider it wrong, but it seems pretty normal to me. Most of my friends don't think twice about planting a foot over some busy anthill on the sidewalk in order to cause a little chaos, nor do I, and I've done that plenty of times. I can definitely think of more painful ways for a bug to die than getting instantly crushed under a gigantic sneaker. Do you think it's wrong? The rationale of "I do it because I can" might be the one used by bullies, and it holds true somewhat. Does that mean I view bugs as less significant than me? Well, yeah I guess I do. But is that necessarily untrue? Compared to them, I'm a giant. My foot odor could kill these little guys.

Our pick of the answers:

Most religious people believe that 'taking away life is bad!!!111' which is why there have been no stem cell-related advancements in medical science before Obama >:( Anyway, it's a matter of morals. Do you believe that the bug's life matters? Scientifically, it doesn't. Bugs don't have feelings. Can you imagine the size of their brains? The whole it's-bad-to-kill-bugs is mostly sentimental BS. I don't think it's a matter of you trying to make yourself secure by putting down lesser beings. Sounds like you just want chaos. If you're thinking about the bully rationale, think about how you treat other people. If you treat them well, then you're not 'doing it because you can'.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers


No comments:

Post a Comment